10 Natural Health Tips for The Flu Season from Your Atlanta Chiropractor
Well, it’s here again. There is a chill in the air, the leaves are turning, and the cold and flu season is in full effect. As the season changes, so does the physiology of our bodies. We have to adapt once more to the cooler temperatures, the dryer air and the barometric pressures.
This adaption process may take awhile. In the mean time, our “force field” isn’t up to full Power due to the extra load on the nervous system. That gives invaders, such as the cold and flu viruses, an opportunity to set up camp and wreak havoc. That is why the already immune compromised, like infants and seniors, are the ones most at risk.
So, the question is “what can we do to bring our “force field” back up”? As an Atlanta Chiropractor, my focus lies in optimizing the efficiency of the nervous system. The following tips can get you well on your way to achieving that goal.
- See Your Chiropractor & Make Sure You’re Well Adjusted. Chiropractic focuses on the Central Nervous System and how it relates to your overall health. The Chiropractic Adjustment aims to remove interference in that system called Subluxation. Since your Immune System is controlled by your Central Nervous System, the adjustment will allow ALL other systems to function better, including your Immune System.
- Get Plenty of Sleep. A regular sleep cycle is important to you’re overall health year round. It becomes more important in the fall and winter months due to the extra stresses your body is dealing with. Since the brain doesn’t have much to do while you sleep, this is when your body does most of it’s healing.
- Stay Hydrated. The colder it gets, the more we stay inside with the heat on. This can dry us out quite quickly. Since it’s cooler outside, people are likely to forget to drink water frequently. So don’t forget to fuel up with a few tall glasses of H2O a day.
- Get Ample Sunshine. This is another problem that the colder months bring about. People stay inside too much. They forget that the sunshine outside is integral for their health. The majority of your Vitamin D is provided by the sun. Vitamin D is needed for a multitude of processes in your body that deal with the immune system. You don’t have to be outside all day to get what you need. Studies show that just ten minutes of sunlight on your face a day synthesizes enough Vitamin D to maintain normal levels.
- Increase Your Vitamin C Intake. The benefits of Vitamin C are very well known and often underutilized. It is a proven immune booster and packed with energy. Many fruits and vegetables are rich in Vitamin C.
- Eat More Fresh Fruits and Vegetables. This is the peak season for fruits and vegetables. Your farmer’s market is filled with an array of immune boosting goodness! Fresh greens are a must. Foods like Arugula, Kale, Spinach and Mustard Greens all can aid in immune function. Citrus is also a tasty way to get the Vitamin C you need.
- Keep Moving and Exercise. Just by taking a 20 minute walk a day can improve your circulation, increase lymphatic activity and reduce stress. For those who are sitting most of the day, stand up 2 minutes for every 20 minutes.
- Keep a Positive Attitude. Just like the Placebo Effect, there is the Nocebo Effect. It is the exact opposite and is just as powerful. If you think you’re going to get sick, you probably will. So think healthy to stay healthy.
- Smile and Laugh Often. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Laughter is the best medicine. It’s therapy for your Soul.
- Avoid Over the Counter Medication and Flu Shots! Suppressing symptoms by taking medication may give you temporary relief, but allowing your body to heal itself is a much wiser route. Our Natural Immunity gets stronger and faster each time it comes in contact with an invader. By interfering with the process you are taking away your body’s natural response and making yourself more dependent upon the medication in the future.
I hope these tips help. And remember….”Think Healthy“!
Now get up and move around little! You’ve probably been sitting for over 20 minutes already.
Schedule Your Appointment Online!
The Best Kept Secret in Chiropractic Health Care
Learn What Sets Us Apart
Virginia Hill Chiropractic is a local and family-owned business. Our professional team has been practicing for years to provide the best Chiropractic care to Atlanta Georgia. We specialize in Upper Cervical Chiropractic care. Contact us today for a FREE consultation on our services.
Entrust our caring team for affordable and top-notch techniques to treat your health effectively. At Virginia Hill Chiropractic, we believe the focus should be on living a life free of nerve interference and not about getting adjustments. In fact, our goal is to deliver a few adjustments as possible. Contact us for a FREE consultation. Same-day appointments are available.